by Niki Kefala
As if you needed more reason to add this delicious oil to your foods?
Olive oil is like a drinking… gold. Is a nutrition treasure, a superfood which is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and is a major component of the Mediterranean diet, with many of documented benefits. Populations from that region have longer life expectancies and lower risks of high blood pressure and stroke.
Consuming Greek olive oil is not only good for your health in the present, but in the future as well. Not bad at all! To be exact, Olive oil is a fat obtained from the fruit of the Olea europaea, a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean region, where whole olives are pressed to produce olive oil. The Greek people are the world’s biggest per capita consumers of olive oil and the higher consumption certainly belongs to the people of Crete.
The basic ingredient for sauces and for all foods in Greek cuisine is olive oil. It has a particularly pleasant and enjoyable taste. More and more people around the world are constantly discovering its particular flavor characteristics. It is so popular that even the celebrity chef Jamie Oliver use it on his cooking magic and he is responsible for the skyrocketing popularity of Greek olive oil in the U.K. over the past years. Here is why we should all be using it instead of other oils!
- Numerous studies have indicated that a Mediterranean diet low in saturated fats but rich in monounsaturated fats such as olive oil, in addition to whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, helps prevent heart disease and even cancer.
- Olive oil is also rich in antioxidants, especially vitamin E.
3. Although high in calories, olive oil has shown to help reduce levels of obesity. Olive oil consumption has been show to break down fats inside fat cells, helping get rid of belly fat.
4. A high consumption of olive oil appears to improve bone mineralisation and calcification. It helps calcium absorption and so plays an important role in aiding sufferers and in preventing the onset of Osteoporosis. Who doesn’t like a strong, healthy body?
5. It can also act as a natural painkiller.
6. The celebrities recommend it! The gorgeous and toned Jennifer Aniston to name one.
Having said that, the best way to know why, would be to incorporate it into your diet! You’ll feel the benefits straight away.