by Niki Kefala
I love eating biscuits with milk or tea and recently I discover that they are very healthy too.
You can choose from a large variety of biscuits that you can find in stores or you can make them. Of course health benefits of biscuits depend largely on the kind of ingredients used to make them and the quality of these ingredients. My favorites are chocolate biscuits and we all know the benefits of the chocolate.
Ginger biscuits have the special benefit of treating nausea. Ginger is also high in antioxidants, that can prevent the occurrence of heart disease and cancer. Ginger biscuits also have anti-inflammatory effects, so is the best choice for those suffering for example from rheumatoid arthritis. Several studies show that consumption of ginger biscuits may help regulate glucose levels and hence is recommended for diabetes.
On the other hand, digestive biscuits are an excellent source of fiber, essential vitamins, and minerals because they are made from brown sugar, butter, milk, rolled oats, baking powder, white flower and whole wheat flour. People who eat more whole grains have an easier time managing their weight and may be at a lower risk of heart disease.
Enjoy in Moderation
Calories in biscuits come from basic ingredients such as refined flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter or oil used in the cooking process. Additional calories in biscuits may come from additives such as flavors and preservatives used. So eat them with moderation because they can further contribute to obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and so on.
- In a bowl put together flour (2 cups), baking powder (1 tablespoon) and little salt.
- Pour milk (¾ cup milk) into flour mixture while stirring with a fork.
- Mix in milk until dough is soft.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and toss with flour.
- Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick sheet and cut with a floured biscuit or cookie cutter.
- Press together unused dough and repeat rolling and cutting procedure.
- Place biscuits on baking sheets and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
How will you enjoy biscuits?